photo header_abhaya_zps721a0d73.png

 photo nav_home_zpsfd56deeb.png photo nav_about_zps4d2fbda0.png photo nav_contact_zpsd0708482.png photo nav_partner_zps9b152967.png

7.30.2012

At the Beach >> In Instagrams

Yesterday, Andy proposed that we take a late afternoon trip out to Tomales Point. We had gone out there a few weeks ago and had a really nice hike along the coastline, so even though I had a ton of stuff to do, I packed up my stuff and we were off.

About two hours into the drive though, we both realized that it was further than we remembered. But we were past the point of no return...we decided not to go all the way out the end of the point as we had last time, but we settled for the first beach we found and explored there a bit instead.
I had never touched the ocean until I was 26. 26, people! That's crazy, even to me. I had seen it out plane and train windows in my European travels, but never actually touched it until then. Well, when you grow up in the Midwest, your chances to get oceanside are few and far between. I've made up for it in spades since then, though. I've been to a handful of Central American and Caribbean countries, lived on the San Francisco Bay for a year, went to Hawaii in March, drove along the coast of New Brunswick and Maine, and have been all up and down the California coastline since moving here two years ago.
I'm not quite an ocean person yet. It's the immensity of it that makes me uneasy. But I think it's growing on me. I think we still may become good friends yet! The sound of the waves crashing in and out; it reminds me of Lake Superior. I could sit on the beach and listen for hours. I'm glad I'll still get more opportunities to commune with the ocean with our move to Seattle. Plus, we'll have mountains, too! The best of both worlds. :)

The beach here is cold and windy, but it's refreshing when you come from the inland heat and stillness where we live. It's a place to slow down and experience the world through all of your senses. Do you have a place like that? It's always nice to get away on a Sunday afternoon.


Are you on instagram? You can find me at instasondra if you want to see more of my day to day pics.

shanti>> sondra


Get updates via: RSS * BLOGLOVIN' * FACEBOOK * TWITTER


3 comments:

  1. Felicia Melendez7/31/12, 8:14 AM

    Love the beach! We went to Mexico for spring break and it was so fun to be able to go swimming and hang out in the ocean! I'm from Colorado so I LOVE the mountains. That is sweet you get both in Seattle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. abhaya_sondra8/1/12, 6:27 PM

    I know, right?! People always give Sacramento rough break because there's nothing "here," but in an hour and a half you can be at the ocean or in the mountains. Crazy!

    ReplyDelete