photo header_abhaya_zps721a0d73.png

 photo nav_home_zpsfd56deeb.png photo nav_about_zps4d2fbda0.png photo nav_contact_zpsd0708482.png photo nav_partner_zps9b152967.png

10.15.2012

The Rain Came Down >> With a Rhythm

Whew, what a weekend. It got off to a good start, with dinner out and a drink shared with some of Andy's new colleagues, but I ended up pretty sick later that night. Still not sure if it was something I ate or what, but the rest of Saturday was mostly a wash, with an afternoon spent reading and watching Netflix. Yesterday was spent at work, and it ended with a rainy walk to a nearby pub for a beer (for him) and peppermint tea (for me). All in all, let's call this weekend a draw, shall we?

On to Monday things. I wanted to share my final takeaway from my cleanse week, and a little bit of what's been going on lately with me. I was overall pretty proud of myself with sticking with it, if only for a week. I am a lady of little will power and self-discipline, so it is good when I see something through. The surprising thing that I learned was that I found that the fasting was the most profound experience for me, and I never even intended to fast. I found it kept me present like nothing else, and really brought me back to the reason why I was doing it in the first place. The rest of the week, I kept to a vegan diet, and I avoided soy and any processed foods. I felt pretty "meh" about that part of it. I am really interested in the idea of fasting though, and would like to try it again soon. I read up on the religious traditions that incorporate it, which is pretty much all religions, and found it fascinating. I am playing around with the idea of doing a short fast before Thanksgiving, as a way of really thinking about my gratitude for the abundance in my life...

And now for your reading pleasure, a Life Lately segment. 'Tis inspired by Elizabeth and Julie, who were apparently inspired by Danielle.

Reading >
The Misadventures of a Garden State Yogi by Brian Leaf. I am going to post a full review of this soon, but right now I'm about half way through. It's a quick, light read, and a nice palette cleanser after reading Desert Solitaire which was a bit more heady.

Watching >
We are not actually in the middle of anything right now. Last week we finished This is England '88 which was phe.nom.i.nal. The whole This is England series (the movie, and subsequent BBC miniseries' This is England '86 and '88) is deeply moving and so well done. So, coming off the heels of that, we tried to get into Bleak House to no avail. While I was poorly (a new British-ism I picked up), we watched If a Tree Falls, which was also quite good. I love me a good documentary, and this one was the best kind. It tells the story of the Earth Liberation Front, and follows one of their members' prosecution on charges of eco-terrorism. SO thought provoking, about what it means to be an activist, about morality, and what it might take to see the changes we seek in this world.

Anticipating >
Getting a handle on our messy house. Since it is small and so full of things, it doesn't take much for it to get out of hand. We need to devise some organizational systems. Tomorrow we start with the Big Daddy of our problems: my closet. Eeek. But it will feel so good when it's done!

Thankful For >
Rainy days, feeling good, and being back on dairy. :) It was rainy all weekend, which had the pleasant side effect of making my hair all wavy. I am looking forward to a winter of soft, pretty hair! I am obviously thankful to be feeling better, nothing like being sick to remind you of how great it is to NOT be sick. And lastly, I am thankful for milk and cheese, which I sorely missed last week. Almond milk is all right, but chai just isn't the same without some good old fashioned cow's milk.

shanti >> sondra

Get updates via: RSS * BLOGLOVIN' * FACEBOOK * TWITTER


No comments:

Post a Comment